Installing With Segment
Leverage the use of your Segment data by passing it along to Userpilot with no additional coding.
Common use cases
- Using Segment data for targeting Userpilot Flows to specific users
- Using Segment data for tracking conversion rates
- Sending Segment tracked events to Userpilot
Segment as a data source
This article explains how to use Segment as a data source to sync your Segment information to Userpilot - e.g. user and company attributes and events.
Installing Userpilot on your app through Segment
Before you begin, you will need to install Segment on your application. You can follow their guide here.
Installing Userpilot using the plugin
This will Install Userpilot on the client side where the data will be sent from the webpage itself.
Step 1: Sign in to Segment
To get started you first need to sign in to Segment or create a new account if you don’t have one Segment Sign up.
Step 2: Install Segment
You can skip this step if you have already installed Segment on your web app.
1. Install Segment on your application. You can follow their guide here.
2. To pass user properties to Userpilot from Segment and show the Userpilot content correctly, Segment's Identify method analytics.identify must be called on every page reload. Without identifying the user, Userpilot won't attempt to show content to the users.
Step 3: Create source on Segment
You can skip this step if you have already created a source.
2. Click on the “Add Source” button.
3. Change the name to "Userpilot" for instance, and input the desired URL for installing analytics.js. Lastly, click on the "Add Source" button.
Step 4: Install Userpilot from Segment
Use Case: Integrate Userpilot content via the Segment analytics.js library.
- From the main menu, click on the Catalog tab, then click on the Destination tab install.
- Search for and select "Userpilot Web (Actions)".
- Click on the "Add Destination" button.
- Choose the source you want to pass the data from and continue the setup steps
- After completing the setup steps, fill out the app token field with your token.
Passing data through a backend service
In order to send data to Userpilot through a back-end server, you will need to follow the steps below
Use Case: Send user-specific events and attributes from your backend to Userpilot.
- Head over to the Connections tab and click on "Add destination" in destinations.
- Search for Userpilot and choose "Userpilot Cloud".
- Choose the source you want to pass the data from.
- Enter a name for your newly created destination
- Fill in the required values, you can find the API Key and the API Endpoint in your Userpilot account under the Environment tab, please make sure to copy the correct values.
Mappings: We support "identify" and "track" methods by default.
Special Note(s) for Cloud Destination: To associate a company attribute with a user, send the company details with your user configurations. Refer to our "identify method" documentation for guidance.
If you have questions regarding our Segment integration, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org